Saturday, May 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!!!

Most of you probably don’t know this, but 50 years ago something incredible happened in the world: my dad was born.

Because a person only turns 50 once in their lifetime, I wanted to take this opportunity to tell my dad (and all our faithful bloggers) how much I love him.

One of my earliest memories is riding on my dad’s bike. He’d strap me into the seat on the back of the bike and ride all over our Utah neighborhood. I used to get so excited that I’d sway my body from side to side, which threw off my dad’s balance and made it nearly impossible for him to keep riding. He had to continually remind me to sit still. One time my dad stopped to talk to the neighbors. He parked the bike on the sidewalk and left me in my seat. It was only a matter of seconds before the bike and I toppled to the ground. I don’t remember crying (though I’m sure I did), but I do remember my dad running over to rescue me.

Another fond memory I have is my dad coming to my soccer games. I started playing soccer when I was about 8 years old. My dad drove this ugly, brown Toyota Corolla with furry seats. I’d climb in the front seat of the car on game day, while my dad loaded our dog, Marble, into the back. At the game, my dad would walk with Marble along the sidelines cheering for me. I was usually too happy to even focus on playing the game. He’d spend the whole drive home telling me how well I played.

I also remember playing the piano with my dad from the time I was very young. I just loved to play with him (and still do). I hated when my mom would nag me about practicing, but if my dad would play with me then I’d be willing to play for hours. He’d offer to play the left hand while I played the right. Or we would often just sit at the piano and play duets. Several times we even played our duets in church.

Over the last 50 years, many people (including myself) have become better just because they’ve been around my dad. He’s the most honest, righteous and loyal person I know. It would be nearly impossible to find a man with a firmer foundation than my dad’s. For that, I look up to him. I’m grateful for my relationship with him and for the support, love, and guidance he’s continually offered me.

I love you, Dad! Happy Birthday! (Love, Audrey)

2 comments:

Gailey Family said...

Happy 50th Ron!

Heidi's Heartland said...

Ron, Your wife loves you too -

Love Heidi